Upon heavy queries we received from our clients and client candidates this week we decided to publish this small informative article providing information on, How To Get a Tax Number In Turkey, how to obtain a tax identification number in Turkey, and why as a foreigner you need to do that.
How To Get Tax Number In Turkey
Our law firm specializes in company formation in Turkey and Turkish citizenship through investment enabling our lawyers to be experienced also on some other procedurally related legal transactions such as obtaining a potential tax ID number for foreigners.
Our lawyers are prepared to assist you in any legal transaction including obtaining a tax ID number in Turkey for foreigners without the need of a residence permit. If you are in Turkey or have been in Turkey recently, our law firm in Turkey can obtain for you a tax ID number in Turkey.
To obtain a tax ID number in Turkey on behalf of you, you need to authorize our lawyers through a Power of Attorney to be issued in a Notary Public in Turkey. If you are not in Turkey at the moment, we still can receive for you a tax ID number in Turkey with a Power of Attorney that is issued by the Turkish Embassy.
How Do I Register for Tax in Turkey?
You are not obliged to go to the Tax Office to obtain a tax ID number in Turkey. You can obtain a tax ID number in Turkey in two ways. First of all, you can visit the page of the Interactive Tax Office (İnteraktif Vergi Dairesi) through https://ivd.gib.gov.tr and click on the part “Application for Non-Citizen’s Potential Tax Number” button.
The system will automatically provide you with a tax ID number when you fill out your passport information and submit the form. This is the fastest way you can obtain the Turkish tax ID number enabling you to receive it within minutes in a PDF document through your browser. So it is important for you not to forget to enable pop-up windows and cookies in your browser to receive this PDF document.
On the other hand, you can make a physical application to any Tax Office (Vergi Dairesi) and obtain a tax ID number in Turkey. The transaction usually takes around 15 or 20 minutes. You will need your original passport, a copy of your passport’s identification page, and a filled and signed tax ID request petition with you.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Tax Number in Turkey?
Obtaining a tax ID number in Turkey will take a few minutes only in each way stated above if the required documents are already prepared. If you are a foreign legal entity, to obtain a corporate tax number we need a Certificate of Good Standing and Trade Registry Certificate of the company based in the foreign country and a Power of Attorney authorizing our lawyers to obtain a tax ID number in Turkey on your behalf. These documents shall also be translated by a certified translator in Turkey and notarized by a Notary Public in Turkey before being presented to the Tax Office.
Turkish Tax Number for Non-citizens
As per Turkish Law, real persons and legal entities willing to undertake business activities in Turkey shall obtain a tax ID number in Turkey. Tax ID numbers and TR identity numbers of the Turkish citizens are matched. In other words, the identification numbers of the citizens of the Republic of Turkey are considered also as their tax ID numbers.
On the other hand, as per the General Communique on the Tax Identification Number, since the Turkish Republic ID number is not provided to foreign nationals who are not citizens of the Republic of Turkey, these persons themselves shall obtain a tax ID number in Turkey by applying to the Tax Office for a wide range of legal transactions.
Apply for a Turkish Tax Number
One of the frequently asked questions regarding obtaining a tax number in Turkey is whether such an application is free of charge or not. When you make an online or physical application to obtain a tax number in Turkey, you don’t need to pay an administrative fee. Foreigners can apply to obtain a tax identity number in Turkey without making any payment to the Tax Office or the Turkish Revenue Administration.
Why Do You Need a Tax ID Number?
Obtaining a tax ID number in Turkey shall be the first step when you decide to come to Turkey especially to invest in Turkey or settle in Turkey. Foreigners need to obtain a Turkish tax ID number to open a bank account in Turkey, obtain a residency permit to settle and live in Turkey, obtain a driving license in Turkey, obtain health insurance, buy a car, get a mobile phone line from an operator, for company establishment in Turkey and to initiate and finalize your other legal transactions in Turkey and perform various formalities in Turkey.
What are the Benefits of a Tax Number in Turkey?
There are many benefits of obtaining a tax number in Turkey when you come to Turkey to buy a property, apply for citizenship, or set up your own business. You can use your potential tax number to:
- Get a health insurance,
- Give Power of Attorney to your lawyer or third parties through notaries in Turkey,
- Establish a company in Turkey and set up your own business in Turkey,
- Get a driver’s license,
- Buy a car,
- Obtain Turkish citizenship through investment,
- Obtain a residence permit to stay and live in Turkey,
- Invest by buying a property in Turkey,
- Open a bank account in Turkey.
The benefits of obtaining a tax ID number in Turkey are not limited to these legal transactions. While you are in Turkey, you will likely enter into many legal transactions that will require you to present your tax ID number. Since the tax number is given to you for an indefinite period and for free, we recommend you to do this one-time transaction as the first thing to do in Turkey which will also make you look credible before administrative entities.
How Do I Get a Foreign ID Number in Turkey?
The Foreign ID Number serves as a unique identifier for non-Turkish residents and is essential for various legal transactions, such as opening a bank account, signing a lease agreement, or even purchasing property.
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Obtain Your Foreign ID Number
1. Determine Eligibility: Before applying for a Foreign ID Number, ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria set by Turkish authorities. Typically, this process is relevant for long-term residents, workers, and students.
2. Visit the Local Population Directorate: Head to the nearest Provincial Directorate of Migration Management (İl Göç İdaresi Müdürlüğü) or Local Population Directorate (Nüfus Müdürlüğü) in your city.
3. Required Documentation: Prepare the necessary documents, including your passport, residence permit, and a document indicating your address in Turkey (e.g., utility bill or rental agreement).
4. Application Submission: Submit your application in person at the Population Directorate. The officials will guide you through the process and may conduct a brief interview.
5. Waiting Period: Once your application is submitted, there is a processing period. During this time, the authorities will verify your information.
6. Receive Your Foreign ID Number: Upon approval, you will be issued a Foreign ID Number. This unique identifier is crucial for various administrative procedures and official transactions in Turkey.
Conclusion: Navigating the bureaucracy of obtaining a Foreign ID Number in Turkey can be simplified with the right guidance. At Mesci Law Firm, we specialize in assisting expatriates in legal matters, ensuring a smooth and efficient process. Contact us today for personalized support in obtaining your Foreign ID Number and addressing any legal concerns you may have.
Potential Tax Number Inquiry for Foreigners
Whether you are an expatriate working in Turkey, a property owner, or conducting business activities, obtaining a Tax Identification Number is a fundamental step. This unique identifier is essential for various financial transactions, including opening a bank account, property transactions, and fulfilling your tax obligations.
Step-by-Step Guide: Potential Tax Number Inquiry for Foreigners:
1. Determine Your Tax Obligations: Understanding your specific tax obligations as a foreigner is the first step. This may vary based on your residency status, income sources, and the nature of your activities in Turkey.
2. Consult with Mesci Law Firm: For personalized guidance, schedule a consultation with our experienced legal professionals. We specialize in assisting foreigners with tax matters, ensuring compliance with Turkish tax laws.
3. Gather Necessary Documents: Prepare the required documents, which may include your passport, residence permit, and any relevant financial records. Our team can provide a comprehensive list based on your specific situation.
4. Potential Tax Number Inquiry: Initiate the potential tax number inquiry process by submitting the necessary documents to the local tax office (Vergi Dairesi) corresponding to your place of residence or business operations.
5. Verification and Issuance: The tax authorities will verify your information, and upon approval, you will be issued a Tax Identification Number. This number is essential for conducting various financial transactions in Turkey.
Taxes in Turkey for Foreigners
Turkey’s tax system is diverse and dynamic, presenting both challenges and opportunities for expatriates. As a foreigner, it’s crucial to comprehend the various taxes that may apply, including income tax, property tax, and value-added tax (VAT).
1. Income Tax for Foreign Residents: Foreign residents are subject to Turkish income tax on their worldwide income. Understanding the tax brackets, exemptions, and deductions is essential for optimizing your tax position. Our team at Mesci Law Firm specializes in providing personalized guidance tailored to your unique circumstances.
2. Property Tax for Foreign Property Owners: If you own property in Turkey, you may be liable for property tax. Navigating the intricacies of property taxation requires a nuanced understanding of local regulations. We can assist you in ensuring compliance and minimizing your tax burden.
3. VAT for Foreign Businesses: If you’re engaged in business activities in Turkey, navigating the VAT system is crucial. Our experts can guide you through the registration process, compliance requirements, and strategic approaches to managing VAT for your business.
4. Legal Assistance for Tax Compliance: At Mesci Law Firm, we specialize in providing legal support to foreigners navigating the Turkish tax landscape. Our experienced team can assist you in tax planning, compliance, and dispute resolution, ensuring a seamless experience.
Conclusion: Tackling taxes in a foreign country can be complex, but with Mesci Law Firm, you have a dedicated partner by your side. Whether you’re an expatriate, property owner, or business professional, our legal experts are here to provide comprehensive support tailored to your needs. Contact us today to ensure your tax affairs are in order and to explore opportunities for financial optimization in Turkey.
Reach Our Law Firm To Acquire Tax Number in Turkey
MESCI Law Firm consisting of English-speaking Turkish Lawyers is always prepared to assist you in your tax number registration, bank account opening, and company formation procedures in Turkey. Our lawyers have over 10 years of law experience in company establishment procedures and how to set up a business in Istanbul.
We have established hundreds of joint stock companies in Turkey, limited liability companies in Turkey, liaison offices in Turkey, free zone companies in Turkey, and branch offices in Turkey for foreign entrepreneurs and investors throughout the years.
Our law firm in Turkey is one of the top-tier law firms providing company formation services in Istanbul handling also company governance through working with certified accountants and accounting firms. You may reach us for a consultancy on how to set up your own business or directly instruct our lawyers to get a tax ID number in Turkey fast.